Nearly two months ago, Marine Corps Sgt. Andrew Tahmooressi was arrested by Mexican federal officers after he took a wrong turn and accidentally ended up at the boarder. He is currently being held in Mexican prison.
According to TheBlaze, The 25-year-old decorated war veteran and Florida native was undergoing treatment for post-traumatic stress disorder at a veterans health care facility in San Diego when he inadvertently crossed an inspection station along the U.S.-Mexico border March 31, his mother, Jill Tahmooressi, told TheBlaze. Once he realized he was in the wrong lane, it was too late for him to turn around. He declared his weapons, but found himself in the grip of the Mexican federal agents.
Now, he’s facing up to 21 years in prison for the legally registered AR-15 rifle, .45-caliber pistol and 12-gauge pump shotgun he had in his car, along with the rest of his possessions.
Thanks in large part to the efforts of Sgt. Tahmooressi’s mother Jill, his story has made headlines in recent weeks with a number of US lawmakers advocating for his release. Rep. Steve Stockholm (R-TX) reportedly met with the Mexican Ambassador to the United States and Rep. Duncan Hunter (R-Calif.), whose district includes the area where Sgt. Tahmooressi accidentally crossed, has also been extremely active in bringing attention to this matter and advocating for action to be taken by Secretary of State John Kerry.
But sadly as of today, Memorial Day of all days, the Obama administration has done nothing to help this marine. No comment, no action, not even a phone call to the family, nothing.
Sgt. Tahmooressi is scheduled for a hearing on Thursday, May 29 where Mexican officials will go before a judge to determine how to handle his case. It is imperative and time sensitive that we get involved in the effort to bring home this innocent marine.
Here are ways YOU can help:
- Call your congressman and your senator. Ask them to contact Secretary of State John Kerry and Attorney General Eric Holder to demand that they take action to bring home Sgt. Tahmooressi. Call, email or use social media to make sure they know you want to see this marine sent home.
- Sign the petition on WhiteHouse.gov. The White House will be forced to respond once the petition reaches 100,000 signatures but it has to happen BEFORE he 30-day, May 31 deadline. The petition currently has just over 69,000 signatures. Click HERE to sign and pass it along to others.
- Attend or organize a rally for Sgt. Tahmooressi. They are happening all over the country. Visit “Free USMC Sgt. Tahmooressi from Mexican Jail” Facebook page.
- Take to social media such as Twitter and Facebook to spread awareness and use your personal contacts to push for Sgt. Tahmooressi’s release. Use the hashtags #MarineHeldinMexico #AndrewTahmooressi #JailedMarine #BringBackOurMarine
- Pray. Sgt. Tahmooressi has already endured so much, including being placed in solitary confinement, shackled to a bed for almost 30 days and held in one of the worst prisons in Mexico. Ask God to watch over this brave young man and keep him safe.
Sgt. Tahmooressi’s mother Jill Tahmooressi will join FiredUp with Alyssa Krumm & Wayne Dupree tonight. Please listen in from 7-8PM EST on WAAR – We Are America Radio for the latest in this developing story.