Before the gas attack Assad was winning the civil war. Now, negotiations will take weeks or, more likely months. Implementations of poison gas security and transfers out of Syria will take years. In the interim Assad with Russian and Iranian help will destroy the rebels. Hundreds of thousands will die. Afterward thousands more will be rounded up, tortured and executed.
Putin will achieve five goals:
- Assad will remain in power.
- The Russia, Iran, Syria axis will be solidified and achieve dominance in the region.
- The Russians will grow their Mediterranean and add air bases in Syria.
- The USA will be weakened, embarrassed and put in greater danger.
- Muslim radicals in Russia will be denied access to chemical weapons.
Tonight Obama seemingly declared victory and a great triumph for his “policies” thereby protecting his massive ego and narcissism. He didn’t take any responsibility for the shameful and obvious debacle he created through inattention, incompetence and devotion to far left ideology.
One thing we do know for sure. His liberal Democrat supporters suppressed their intelligence, their morals and denied reality to defend the man. Hillary and Kerry, who both not long ago described Assad as a “reformer”, will continue to bore us with their serial stupidities and egos.
Business as usual. The status quo is maintained.