On Monday, HHS Secretary Tom Price blasted the CBO report which said 14 million more people would lose health insurance next year.
The budget office claimed this would happen under the House’s Obamacare replacement plan.
Below is a summary of what they found in their report.
CBO and JCT estimate that, in 2018, 14 million more people would be uninsured under the legislation than under current law. Most of that increase would stem from repealing the penalties associated with the individual mandate.
Later, following additional changes to subsidies for insurance purchased in the nongroup market and to the Medicaid program, the increase in the number of uninsured people relative to the number under current law would rise to 21 million in 2020 and then to 24 million in 2026.
In 2026, an estimated 52 million people would be uninsured, compared with 28 million who would lack insurance that year under current law.
The Washington Examiner tweeted a clip of Price speaking to reporters in front of the White House.
“There are 8 million people, 8, 9 million people, who are on the exchange currently. I’m not sure how they’re going to get 14 million people uninsured if that’s what they say with only 8 million people on the exchange.”
“It is just not believable,” he said.
Price said the CBO was wrong and that more people would get insured by the new plan.
— Washington Examiner (@dcexaminer) March 13, 2017
Even if the House passes the bill, it is facing trouble in the Senate. A handful of them had already declared their opposition to it.
What do you think about the CBO claims? Comment below and let us know.
Help support conservative news and views by sharing this post on Facebook and Twitter.
You can also follow Mitch Behna on Twitter.