Economist/YouGov Poll Pushes Claim: Republican Support For MLK Holiday Has Dropped Since 1983

Economist/YouGov Poll Pushes Claim: Republican Support For MLK Holiday Has Dropped Since 1983

NOTE: Let me say that when you see polls results like this, you have to take it with a grain of salt. Dr. Martin Luther King’s birthday was made into a holiday under a Republican president. So to see these results, let me know that someone is lying and trying to create a racial slant on a political party or the Republican party is moving in a direction I may not be able to follow.

According to a recent survey conducted by The Economist and YouGov, when it comes to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s birthday, just 41 percent of Republican voters think it should be recognized as a federal holiday in 2021 – a full seven points lower than when the legislation creating the holiday was signed into law in 1983.

That’s nuts and I seriously can’t believe that. Who is answering these poll questions?

It is on this Monday that Americans will remember the life of the civil rights icon Martin Luther King Jr. with a federal holiday — but not everyone in the country is happy about the occasion.

Respondents to a recent survey conducted by The Economist and YouGov were asked: “Do you believe that Martin Luther King Jr.’s birthday should be recognized as a federal holiday?”

Overall, 58 percent of respondents agreed that Martin Luther King Jr.’s birthday should be recognized as a federal holiday, with just 21 percent disagreeing and another 21 percent stating they were “not sure.”

Support for the holiday among racial groupings was strongest among Black respondents, with 77 percent saying “yes” to the question, compared to 10 percent who answered “no” and 14 percent who indicated they weren’t sure. White males without a college degree received the least amount of support, accounting for 44 percent of all White responses.

Democrats were the most enthusiastic, with 78 percent saying “yes” and 11 percent saying “no,” with 10 percent saying they were unsure.

Should Elon suspend Biden's Twitter account?(Required)
This poll gives you access to Wayne Dupree's newsletter! Unsubscribe any time.
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

However, Republicans were by far the most opposed to the holiday, with just 41 percent of them agreeing that Martin Luther King Jr. Day should be observed as a federal holiday, with the rest 59 percent either opposing it (36 percent) or unsure (23 percent ).

Independent voters were divided, with a slender majority of 53 percent saying “yes” to the question, while 24 percent answered “no” and 23 percent indicated they were unsure.

But what’s even more astonishing is the fact that, although Democratic support for the holiday has increased dramatically since it was passed into law in 1983, support among Republicans and independents has declined significantly.

The measure was supported by 48 percent of Republicans and 62 percent of independents, according to a Harris survey conducted weeks before the Senate enacted the legislation. Republicans were divided on the issue, with 42 percent opposing and 10 percent “not certain.”

Democrats were 66 percent in support of the bill, while Republicans were 29 percent against, with 5 percent stating they were “not sure” in the same survey.



The opinions expressed by contributors and/or content partners are their own and do not necessarily reflect the views of

I'm glad you're here, comments! Please maintain polite and on-topic conversations. You could see comments from our Community Managers, who will be identified by a "WD Staff" or "Staff" label, in order to promote fruitful and civil discussions. We stop accepting comments on articles three days after they are posted in order to provide the optimal user experience. The conversations forums on welcome comments for an unlimited period of time. For further information, please refer to our community policies.

SIGN UP HERE and join us!
Follow Wayne on Rumble!
Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x